isang awit ng yelo at apoy What do you think of Asha Greyjoy? Where do you see her going in the story?

Kaleese619 posted on Mar 25, 2012 at 06:02PM
I like Asha, her character is strong, motivated and focused. At the core she's a good person and worthy of a larger role I think.

isang awit ng yelo at apoy 6 ang sumagot

Click here to write a response...
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas delamico said…
Oh, my goodness, I SO hate computers. I wrote my nice little reply, tried to post it and it was gone...
So once again.
I personally don't really like Asha. Not that she's a bad person or a bad character, I just can't really relate to her having nothing in common with her. Otherwise, she's an interesting character. First she set off and Lord Balon's proud daughter, heir possibly, then she went to the kingsmoot as an ambitious applicant, then she was suddenly and outcast running from her enemies. What I found really interesting is that despite all her toughness and masculine side she had that girlish naivety in her Daenerys and Arianne and all young women in the series did. She actually thought they would choose her to rule over her uncles. I think that was rather foolish of her. We get a picture of what sort of people the ironmen are through Victarion's POV mostly (and the Damphair's too). And as it came down to me, they are not the sort of men who'll 'suffer' a woman ruling them. Asha should have known that I think. I felt a little sorry for her after the kingsmoot, with Balon Greyjoy dead and the kingsmoot failing her she became just another outcast on the run. She became as rootless and as lost as Arya, though at least she had some friends around and was 10 years older. What I see coming for her is a reunion with Theon and should any mishap befall Victarion and Euron (which, I dearly hope, will) they can restore the Iron Islands to peace together. Maybe as an independent realm or bending a knee to the North. But should Asha come to power in the end, I'm sure she'll be sensible enough to let go of the old way and adjust a little more to the fashions of Westeros than her forebears did.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas salemslot said…
I find Asha Greyjoy as one of the most interesting characters of the saga.

For me, Asha is the potential that Cercei, Sansa and Arianne failed to be, a woman respected in a man-driven universe. All 4 ladies are highborn but only Asha has managed to play the game without resorting solely on her high claim or her 'woman' parts. She has managed to become a captain of her own ship, well respected but she also is aware that men still would love to jump her. She is a fighter and prefers to die a free kraken with a longaxe in her hands than prisoned in a cage. She knows that in many ways she is inferior to her enemies so she personally tries to make things turn to her side. She ventured to see what kind of man Theon was before the 'family' meeting using her femenine wild in the clear where anyone could see it. I can't imagine the seducers Cercei and Arianne doing that kind of thing unless behind safe doors. She seeked Victarion and compromised her claim in order to have a saying in her ruling. She doesn't want the Seat just for the sake of having it. She can be hard as a kraken but not cruel as she displayed as a conqueror of the north. Personally, her weakness is her need to be in control which has always been the force that motivates her, a reason why she never seeked the life of a woman making a family of her own.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas Kaleese619 said…
I think now that Stanis has her we may be in for a major role play from Asha in this wwhole "King" thing. She can see that something is not quite right with old Stanis and is biding her time, trying to come up with a move that would free them. I just want her to rub success in her uncles faces. Like..." Now Dampbhair What??? Crow Eye Who??? KISS MY TUSH!!
salemslot, that was well said. the only thing I would argue with is that part concerning Sansa Cersei and Arianne. I don't think Sansa or Arianne ever wished to be someone like Asha. Sansa is the utter opposite of Asha, she never wanted to rule men, never wanted power, never wanted respect. All she wanted was someone brave and gentle and strong to take care of her and make her happy and give her children she could raise to be ladies and knights. Arianne never wanted to be like Asha, I think. She wanted to rule Dorne, that much is true enough, she is the kind of ruler as Daenerys. The traditional female ruler who plays around with men, sometimes plots, dresses in silk, drinks wine. Asha condemned silks and sitting around playing with men. As for Cersei, you are right. She wanted to be Jaime, but never could and failed to become a woman like Asha, too.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas salemslot said…
^^ I didn't mean they wanted to be like Asha, my wording must have been wrong :)

I meant that if you compare those 4 characters, Asha is the only one truly free in every sense of the word whereas the others as a woman model, a trope if I may say, are dependent on others and that shows in their actions. Sansa is the typical damsel in distress. Like you said, she wants a knight in shining armour to protect her and all the fuzzy things but she can't fend for herself at all. If there isn't someone to save her (Dontos, the Hound, Tyrion, Baelish), she is nothing but a serving girl, metaphorically speaking a whore who follows her master and obeys his order.

As for Arianne, it is exactly as you said, she wanted to be a Daenerys type queen but the difference is that she doesn't think of the ramifications of her actions because she is protected by her rank as a highborn lady. She hasn't had many responsibilities in her life in comparison to Asha or Dany who have put their life in peril time and again.
AudreyFreak commented…
excuse me? if sansa couldn't fend for herself she'd be dead. she's a far stronger character than a stereotype like Asha who can magically get out of any trouble with no injuries physical or psychological. notice it's only when she behaves in a FEMININE way like Sansa does she get men to give her what she wants. sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas
Yes, I can absolutely agree with that. Though I don't think Sansa is any degradable because she wanted someone to look after her. Very few of are as strong as Asha, most women just wish to find someone who loves them and makes them happy. Even Daenerys who is a deal more badass than Sansa suffered from not having anybody to share her burden with. Of course Asha's unique independence is very respectable, though I'm really not one of this type and I don't even yearn for Asha's independence. Maybe that's why I can't exactly relate to her. But otherwise, as I said before, she's a fine character with respectable and interesting aspects.