pagtatalo Quote Contest: Who sinabi It and Why?

Cinders posted on Nov 16, 2008 at 07:58AM
Recently, I uncovered this quote in some late night just-for-fun research on some of my favorite human rights topics.

Unfortunately, if I posted this in the HR spot, I have a feeling no one would notice it.

And since it is a very controversial quote, I figured I could post it here, and see what you guys think of it.

So here's the deal: Who said this quote, of whom are they speaking, and (bonus points!) why did this person say this?

""I do not admit that the dog in the manger has the final right to the manger, even though he may have lain there for a very long time. I do not admit, for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America, or the black people of Australia. I don't admit that a wrong has been done to those people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher grade race, or, at any rate, a more worldly-wise race, to put it that way, has come in and taken their place."

Ready? Go!

pagtatalo 8 ang sumagot

Click here to write a response...
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas Sappp said…
Eeuhm. I read this one. It was a allied leader or something
It had something to do with Israel and Palestine and the post-WW2 decision that the Jews should have 'their' land back.
So I guess it was either Churchill or Roosevelt who said it.
The person is speaking of the Palestine people, they don't have right to the land, even thouh they live there now.
And I don't know anything more to say.

*opens new screen with google*

sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas Cinders said…
*claps!*

It was Churchill.

Does anyone find it odd that a respected leader who combated one of the worlds most cruelest racial injustices is saying something as racist as the enemy he just defeated?

Any thoughts?
Yeah, I guess that was the reason it stuck with me.
Especially the phrase 'a stronger race, a higher grade race, or, at any rate, a more worldly-wise race'. It is just so reminding of Hitler and the Nazi's, who justified their actions by saying the Jews and their other victims were of an inferior race.
You'd think we'll learn from history but apparently Churchill even had trouble learning from very recent history.

I just researched this again because I was talking with a friend of mine about it. And Churchill said it in 1937. So I guess my claim Churchill did not learn from WW2 was a bit out of place, but it is still very racist for someone who went on to defeat Hitler. If Hitler had done anythin with international politics, he could've called Churchill a hypocrite :).

"Make the enemy and oppressor pay. Amends should be made by the criminal, not by the innocent bystander. What injury have Arabs done to the Jews of Europe? It is the Christian Germans who stole their homes and lives. Let the Germans pay."

This was what the Saudi King Ibn Saud said AFTER the war to Churchill about the matter. He also said this:

'He explained that it was the old Arab custom to "distribute survivors and victims of battle among the victorious tribes in accordance with their numbers and their supplies of food and water. In the Allied camp, there are 50 countries, among whom Palestine is small, land-poor, and has already been assigned more than its quota of European refugees."

Churchill also made an other nice comment in regards to the Palestine people.

In 1941, President Franklin D. Roosevelt presented Churchill with the Atlantic Charter, his vision of the postwar world under which Britain and the United States would pledge "to respect the right of all peoples to choose the form of government under which they will live." Churchill said he supported such a promise, but not with regard to the Arabs of Palestine.
last edited sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas alismouha said…
Churchill was a war criminal,but because he won the war,he is branded and "Great leader" and a "Hero" and other guys like Hitler and Mussolini are branded "War criminals" and "Racists"...Because they Lost.
Well, Hitler and Mussolini were war criminals and racists, so no one is saying something wrong about them.

last edited sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas alismouha said…
yes,I know I'm just saying.

Listen,how about we turn this forum post to a quote contest?We pick a subject(Event,Incident,Country,War,person,­etc­.)a­nd we submit quotes about it,and may the best quotes win,in a pick question.

sound good?
I think the quotes spot would be a better spot for that.