pagtatalo Religious Survey Round 2

Cinders posted on Feb 20, 2008 at 08:17AM
Hi. So for class, we're taking a survey based on why people are drawn (or in some cases draw away from) different faiths. So no matter what you believe, you qualify to fill out this survey.

Just copy-paste this survey into a message and send it to me. PLEASE help me out. I need at least twenty people and since Fanpop is so diverse, it's my best resource. If you have any comments about the survey, I'd love to hear them too.

(For the record, I did not write this survey. If I had, my questions would have had much more specific answers).

Survey: Your faith
We define “faith” as any belief (or nonbelief) in spiritual matters like God or gods, organized religions and/or texts, and/or faith-based answers to the many questions of our world.

• What faith/background were you raised in?

• What is the faith that you believe now? If you are not religious, please briefly describe your spiritual beliefs.

• On a scale of 1-10 (1 being the lowest), how much do you ascribe to this faith?

• If you have changed faiths from what you were raised from, why did you do so?

• If you didn’t change your faith, what keeps you in this belief?

• Do you, more or less, share the same beliefs (or lack of beliefs) as your siblings? Why or why not?

• Would it bother you if your child does not have the same spiritual beliefs as you do?

• Does your spouse or significant other have the same faith as you do? Would you prefer that he/she is?

• Would you tend to make friends with people who have the same faith/spiritual background?

• If you are atheist, agnostic or do not identify with any one faith, have you been religious in the past? If yes, what caused you to un-identify yourself with said religion?

• What do you think is the most important reason of having a faith in general?

• What is the most important about your faith to you?

• What is attractive to you about your current faith? (Circle all that apply)
1. The religious community (churches, mosques, synagogues, friends with similar beliefs, etc)
2. The heightened sense of morality
3. A sense of security
4. It provides the most logical answers to your questions
5. Other: _______________________

• Do you feel like you are judged for your faith or lack of faith?

• Have you explored any other beliefs other than your own?

• How do your beliefs influence how you interact with people and view the world?

• How do your beliefs influence your view on political issues?

• Have you ever considered being an atheist (if you currently believe in a faith) or ascribing to a religion (if you currently are an atheist)? Why or why not?
last edited on Feb 21, 2008 at 07:40AM

pagtatalo 17 ang sumagot

Click here to write a response...
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas knifewrench said…
We define “faith” as any belief (or nonbelief) in spiritual matters like God or gods, organized religions and/or texts, and/or faith-based answers to the many questions of our world.

1. What faith background were you raised in?
Christianity

2. What is the faith that you believe now?
a. Christianity

3. On a scale of 1-10 (1 being the lowest), how much do you ascribe to this faith?

4. If you have changed faith from what you were raised from, why did you do so?
a. No

5. If you didn’t change your faith, what keeps you in this belief?
a. Your loyalty/firmness in your beliefs

6. What do you think is the most important thing about having a faith?
e. Others: to know what is morally right and wrong.

7. What is attractive to you about your current religion? (Circle all that apply)
b. The heightened sense of morality
c. A sense of security

8. Have you explored any other beliefs other than your own?
c. Didn’t care to explore (well, kind of..... I have thought about what other faiths stand for, but never have I thought about leaving the church)

9. Does your spouse or significant other have the same faith as you do? Would you prefer that he/she is?
e. I don't have a spouse or significant other

10. Would you tend to make friends with people who have the same faith background?
d. I have more friends that have different faith than I do

11. Would it bother you if your child does not have the same faith as you do?
a. Yes, I would like them to be

12. If you are atheist, agnostic or not religious, have you been religious in the past?
b. This question doesn’t apply to me
Who WAS this queston written by? One of the questions suggests Christianity and Catholocism are two seperate things, when really Catholocism is a denomination of Christianity.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas harold said…
So...which debate is this meant to address?

I'd be interested in seeing your version of such a survey, particularly if it included many of the non-supernatural religions to which many of us ascribe, such as atheism, science, nationalism, environmentalism, et cetera. The delta between questions 1 and 2 would be both more interesting and more enlightening for the purposes of some debates which might be conducted in this spot.

Edit: Echoing knifewrench's question: re-reading the survey, I'm bothered even more by the sloppiness of it. The definition of faith includes agnosticism and atheism, but then these are not included in the survey until the end. There they are presented as synonymous with "not religious", which is sloppy (as you know I believe).
last edited sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas Cinders said…
I agree. The thing is in its preliminary stages and will be edited for clarity later. That's the problem with working in randomly assigned groups.

*Sigh.*

And I know this is off topic, I'm sorry. I was going to put it in Fanpop users but since this is just the guinea pig stage wanted it to have a slightly smaller audience at first.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas DrDevience said…
Religion is an on-going debate here... I personally see nothing wrong with Carly asking for help on her project here ;)

Message on the way.

• What faith/background were you raised in?
Christian

• What is the faith that you believe now? If you are not religious, please briefly describe your spiritual beliefs.
Christian

• On a scale of 1-10 (1 being the lowest), how much do you ascribe to this faith?

• If you have changed faiths from what you were raised from, why did you do so?
N/A

• If you didn’t change your faith, what keeps you in this belief?
Because I understand and whole-heartedly believe in it

• Do you, more or less, share the same beliefs (or lack of beliefs) as your siblings? Why or why not?
Yes I do share the same beliefs as my sister. "Why?", I don't know, coincidence maybe.

• Would it bother you if your child does not have the same spiritual beliefs as you do?
Yeah, but I wouldn't bug him/her constantley about it.
• Does your spouse or significant other have the same faith as you do? Would you prefer that he/she is?
I do not have a spouse/significant other.

• Would you tend to make friends with people who have the same faith/spiritual background?
Not really, most of my friends have different beliefs to me.

• If you are atheist, agnostic or do not identify with any one faith, have you been religious in the past? If yes, what caused you to un-identify yourself with said religion?
N/A

• What do you think is the most important reason of having a faith in general?
Trying to do the morally right thing in life.

• What is the most important about your faith to you? What I said in the above question :P

• What is attractive to you about your current faith? (Circle all that apply)
1. The religious community (churches, mosques, synagogues, friends with similar beliefs, etc)
3. A sense of security

• Do you feel like you are judged for your faith or lack of faith?
You mean like Judgement Day? Yeah, kind of; it's in the Bible.

• Have you explored any other beliefs other than your own?
I have thought about what other religions stand for, but I haven't thought about changing religions.

• How do your beliefs influence how you interact with people and view the world?
I try to think "What Would Jesus Do?" if faced with a problem or choice.

• How do your beliefs influence your view on political issues?
I'd believe the things I do even if I wasn't a Christian. I'd still disagree with the death penalty, I'd still believe in freedom of speech, etc. So I guess my beliefs don't influence my views on political issues.

• Have you ever considered being an atheist (if you currently believe in a faith) or ascribing to a religion (if you currently are an atheist)? Why or why not?
No. To me, it seems crazy to believe that a soul can just stop existing (death without afterlife).

Carly said:
Just copy-paste this survey into a message and send it to me

If you are going to post your answers up in this comment section, be aware that you are opening your answers up for debate...

*cracks her knuckles*

*grins wildly*
That's true, and I did that mostly because the ethics state that the subject and their answers should be anonymous. But if folks don't care about being anonymous then I cannot be held responsible.
Whoops, didnt read that bit =S

DrD, I would gladly debate my answers to the survey :)

P.S. I can crack my knuckles four ways XD I'm such a freak!
Alrighty then... get your gloves on, man... as soon as I get more time, we'll make a forum on this response to what you like about religion:

THANKS EVERYONE WHO HAS BEEN SENDING ME THEIR ANSWERS! Y'all are really helping me out. I still need a few more though, so keep 'em coming!
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas adavila said…
so do you still need them¿?¿?¿?
Yes, I do.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas adavila said…
I thought this was old that´s why I asked

I didnt saw the date sorry
OK, thanks to everyone who participated in this and sent me a survey. I may post results if you folks are interested in certain categories of the questions asked (believe me, we made things make sense).

I DON'T NEED ANYMORE SURVEYS! THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO GAVE ME ONE, IT WAS GREATLY APPRECIATED AND YOU CAN BE PLEASED TO KNOW YOU HAVE NOW BECOME JUST ANOTHER STATISTIC.

;o)
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas DarkSarcasm said…
Yay, my lifetime dream of becoming a statistic has finally come true! =D Thank you for making this possible, Cinders. ;)

I'd definately be interested in seeing what kind of results you managed to get out of this...
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas meeee said…
Too late now but I just realized that I misread question 10 I have loads of friends with different religions......