Harry Potter Vs. Twilight 1000 Reasons Why Harry Potter Is Better Than Twilight

lauracullen66 posted on Aug 27, 2009 at 01:29PM
just start at one and see if you can get 1000

Harry Potter Vs. Twilight 54807 ang sumagot

Click here to write a response...

Showing Replies 1451-1500 of 54807

sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas LoveforSeverus said…
^and it's been an amazing 7 months.

2047. Ok this one is kind of personal:
When I read the first few pages of Twilight, I was bored out of my mind. It was totally underwhelming and I didn't need to know that she was getting in a car, buckling up, driving at 25 mph until she got on the highway then went 80. Thats wasting trees.

But when I read the first SENTENCE of Harry Potter, I was like "Wow, that's an amazing intro. She really gets it." and by the second page I couldn't put it down. I just loved it.

2047. Even though Bella has only one thing that could even be considered CLOSE to a "flaw" (clumsy), Edward always saves her. So, could she even say she has a flaw?

2048. Twilight is self-insertion. I'm sorry but it's kind of creepy to read about Smeyer's fantasies. It gets a little awkward to read about it.

2049. The only reason why the Sparklepyres are so beautiful is because nothing can be imperfect in Smeyer's little world (and may I say that she's kind of ugly). See, in the books it is said that the beauty of the vampires scare people. And so obviously it has nothing to do with the hunt. It gets BORING. (i.e. we don't need hundreds of pages talking about how amazing Eddykins is.

2050. It's predictable. Every bit of it. NOTHING surprised me about when James was at the dance studio or the fact that Eddy came and risked his life for Bella.
Here lets sum up Twilight: A mary-sue named Bella falls in lust with this "vampire" that sparkles and 3 weeks later she has perfect grades and meets Edward's family and gets chased through southwest USA and lives. Batman.
^had to put batman in to make it intresting.

2051. Twilight fan girls. They have no humility, and if someone tries to diss Twilight the fangirls go crazy and end up physically harming people.

2052. It contradicts itself. Bella can be "strong" and break her mother and father's hearts by basically telling them she picks Edward over them. However, when it comes to true strength and letting go of Edward, she can't do it. She needs her Sparkle to function. It's sick.

2053. Do you know what masochism actually is/what it means? Look it up. Smeyer is sick.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas tymple said…
2054. most harry potter fans arnt syco crazy freaks who are in love with a fictional charecter
last edited sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas
 2054. most harry potter fans arnt syco crazy freaks who are in pag-ibig with a fictional charecter
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas mooimafish17 said…
angelic
^^ and tend to be educated - or at least able to type in proper
English!
2055.“When I write my story, it’s not like I am thinking about what I am doing” -Stephenie Meyer

Pardon my French, but what the fuck Stephenie?!?!?!?! REALLY!

Jo Rowling is disappointed.

2056.“Dear Twilight haters… complain any more and we will give you all a paper cut right in front of Jasper. Yours sincerely, Twilight Lovers.”
They actually thing Twilight is real. Sure, we ALL were waiting for our Hogwarts letter but it's not like we take it this extreme.

2057. (off of a tiwhate website)Anti: “Imprinting is sick, sexist, and promotes pedophilia”

Fan: “Imprinting isn’t sexual”, “Imprinting’s not sexist because it’s equally degrading”

At best, imprinting is a second-rate deus ex machina to make coupling easier for Meyer by taking away the necessity for character and relationship development. Basically, love-at-first-sight by any other name still smells not-quite-sweet. Now, had Meyer simply gone ahead with love at first sight rather than the imprinting concept, I doubt we’d be discussing it right now. Rather, I’d be arguing how lame love at first sight is.

But since Meyer chose imprinting and all its dangly bits, let’s take a look at it.

Who imprints?

The male werewolves. It isn’t known whether or not Leah can imprint, though she complains in Breaking Dawn that she’s “twenty years old and menopausal”, indicating that she can’t procreate anyway, thus rendering the function of imprinting useless (more on that later).

Quil imprinted on Claire, a two year-old.
Jacob imprinted on Nessie, an infant.

What is the purpose of imprinting?

We learn over the course of the series that the purpose of imprinting and why normal folk don’t do it is to insure that the werewolf gene (or shape-shifting gene) is passed on. Think of it like an evolutionary adaptation to insure the procreation of one’s species—much the same as certain types of frogs modulating the pitch and frequency of their mating calls in order to attract a female of their exact species. Imprinting is not to make sure that the werewolves get true love. It’s not to make sure that the werewolves have a barefoot woman in the kitchen to make them sandwiches. The sole reason is for reproduction. That’s it. No other reason.

“Imprinting is sick, sexist, and promotes pedophilia”

So if imprinting’s sole purpose is for reproduction, then it is inherently sexual. Saying it’s not sexual is like saying a dude putting his penis in a girl’s vag isn’t sexual. Reproduction = sexual.

To get out of the squick factor with Quil imprinting on Claire and Jacob imprinting on Nessie, Meyer quickly defends it by saying that the imprinter will be “whatever is needed, whether that’s a brother or uncle or father.”

And there go my squick alarms, blaring away like the siren of a police cruiser full of pedophiles.

One of the problems is that there is an understood future sexual relationship (by virtue of the imprinting) at stake. So the idea of the werewolf taking a fraternal or paternal role in the life of the child leads directly to the concept of child grooming, defined below:

“Child grooming”

The deliberate actions taken by an adult to form a trusting relationship with a child, with the intent of later having sexual contact is known as child grooming. The act of grooming a child sexually may include activities that are legal in and of themselves, but later lead to sexual contact. Typically, this is done to gain the child’s trust as well as the trust of those responsible for the child’s well-being.

Sound familiar? That’s because that describes the exact actions being taken by Quil and, to a lesser extent Jacob (given that Nessie is supposedly super-mature and super in general) in their relationships with Claire and Nessie respectively.

Certainly Quil doesn’t want to hurt Claire, but he’s taking an authoritative role in her life and for her to grow up with Uncle Quil or Brother Quil with the expectation of a sexual relationship completely sabotages her rights and her personal ability to refuse him. That is, both Quil and the rest of the tribe expect her to engage in a relationship with him and she has been brought up with the understanding that Quil will eventually become Lover Quil. How is she supposed to refuse him when he’s not only been an authority figure all her life but it’s expected by him and the rest of her family and friends that they live happily ever after (and make lots of puppies)? That’s inexcusable and sick, and as I already established, there can be no imprinting without reproduction. This means that Quil and Claire’s relationship can never be simply platonic and that’s why it’s pedophilic.

Not to mention that it’s also sexist. It puts all the power of the relationship into Quil’s hands rather than Claire’s. Sure, Quil didn’t choose to imprint—it was forced upon him—but he does have the ability to mold and shape his and Claire’s relationship over a period of at least 16 years while Claire is given no options of her own. This goes for every other female who has been imprinted upon… Where is their right to choose? If they’re a member of the tribe, then they’re expected to just fall in line with whatever boy has designs on them, because, as Meyer says, it’s supposedly “hard to resist that level of devotion.”

Now, a popular argument that the Twilight fans use is this: “Imprinting is degrading to both males and females equally, therefore it’s not sexist.” While they do make a good point about imprinting and the males, their logic is flawed. No, the males don’t have a right to choose either—they become groveling, sniveling love slaves with no options outside of the person they choose, but the difference is that they have feelings for the person. If we take imprinting at face value, then they’ve found their soul-mate and they have no doubts, no concerns, and no regrets about it. The problem is that it’s not reciprocal. The females are not guaranteed feelings equal to the male, yet they’re still expected to hop between the sheets with them. Had Meyer left it as a one-way, unrequited love process, then it wouldn’t have been as sexist (it would have put power in the hands the female and degraded the male… not a good thing, either). But because she insinuates that the females are supposed to love the male back, then it becomes a problem.

Imprinting (and werewolf reproduction) is sexist in another way as well, specifically for Leah. Now, this is either a giant misunderstanding or a blatant contradiction (I’m inclined to think the latter, considering Meyer’s dubious track record), but in Breaking Dawn, Meyer insinuates that Leah is infertile. WTF? Evolutionarily speaking, why on earth would a female werewolf become infertile while the males get to keep their little swimmers? (Same question to the vampires, actually) So if imprinting happens to insure reproduction, why the hell would werewolf-ism ever make the person infertile? There’s zero reason for it evolutionarily (it goes counter to evolution theory, period) and biologically speaking, if the males can keep creating sperm with no problem, then it makes zero—ZERO!—sense for Leah’s eggs (which she was born with) to suddenly lose their viability. After all, if imprinting is there to make sure that werewolf puppies are running around, then it implies that not only are the werewolves capable of reproduction but that it’s preferred.

But no… Meyer decides to take away Leah’s fertility, thus setting her apart from a) the other women on the reservation and b) the other werewolves and c) taking away her opportunity to imprint (if she’s infertile, she won’t imprint because the potential for procreation has been lost). Now, does the male werewolves’ sperm count reduce more quickly than humans’ (thus reducing their viability) because of their werewolfiness? Is that another reason for imprinting, to make sure that they get down-n-dirty quick enough so that they’re not shooting blanks?

The answer to that is no. If Quil can imprint on a two year-old and have to wait a minimum to 16 years before reproduction, then it’s safe to say that he’s not losing any viability any time soon. Likewise, it’s stated that werewolves, as long as they phase regularly, will never age.

So why is Leah aging (going through menopause/losing her fertility)? Why does the woman get the shaft and the males get to prance around happily with no ill effects (rather, they get killer bods and a never-ending supply of viable sperm). Why do the males get their happy ending (by way of imprinting; no pun intended) and Leah is denied hers?

The only possible reason is that she’s a woman and Meyer wanted to give her some extra angst (besides having her heart broken, coincidentally also due to imprinting). By taking away her fertility, Meyer implies that procreation and baby-making are the most important things to her simply by virtue of her having two X chromosomes. Sexist? I should say so.

Imprinting in five words: sick, gross, eww, *shudder*, SEXIST!, and awkward.

Good job, Meyer. Really nice work.
/sarcasm
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas ABDCFan- said…
laugh
^ How long is that reply! :D
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas ravynflyte said…
Ashley1997: Well, that could be true. But, Harry Potter is much, much more than just a "magic" book. It really has themes of everything. Ehehe, sorry. I will now bore the rest of you with my abnormally long explanation. It actually has tons of hidden ideas in it. It's not some philosophical book, like The Alchemist or something, where you have to take apart every sentence to find the "bigger" idea. Anyone can read it,really. Smaller kids can read it and love it because of all the action and pure awesomeness. Older readers can look into it and see more ideas buried in the book, like the Mirror of Erised, since there are so many details. Here are just a FEW themes that are in Harry Potter:

Segregation/Racism: Grindelwald, Voldemort, and the Death Eaters believe that wizards are better than Mudbloods, just because they are pureblooded. In reality, they are all magical and all have genuine rights to be called a wizard/witch. Maybe its just me, but this reminds me a LOT of racial segregation between the white men and the black men during the Civil war. It just proves that you can't judge someone by their skin color, religion, family history, bloodline, race, or whatever. One thing that I loved is that all of the wizards/witches come from different social classes, races, and all of that stuff. (Would this count as reason 2045?)

LOVE: Yes, I said love. Not lust. Those are two very, very, very different things.
Love: Affection and tenderness felt by lovers; affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests.
Lust: Personal inclination; intense or unbridled sexual desire. (Got these definitions from merriam-webster, by the way)
Do Edward and Bella love each other because of admiration, benevolence, or shared interests? Do they feel "affection and tenderness" for each other? In other words, do they "love" each other for any reason except that she smells good and he's attractive? If you answered yes to any of those questions, go get a reality check and come back later.
I bet someone's going to throw out the "But they had a baby!" thing here. A mother's love for her children is one of the strongest bonds in existence. I probably shouldn't be quoting Harry Potter here, but look at Lily Potter and Molly Weasley. They are the mothers of the series. Lily died for Harry, because of LOVE. Molly murdered a person after Bellatrix tried to kill her daughter. In fact, I think I'll even say that out of the whole series, "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU B*TCH!" is one of my favorite lines. To conclude this rant, listen to "Save Your Heart" by Mayday Parade. It is an amazing post-breakup song, but I like to go a little more into it. Quote: "Save your heart, for someone that's worth dying for. Don't give it away. Torn apart, never getting what you've been begging for. It's always the same...Save your heart, for someone who leaves you breathless. And I know that you're scared, seems like someone said you had it in you. All along, you said you knew this was wrong, but still worth dying for..." Sigh. Sorry. I love Mayday Parade so much, but this song really speaks to me. Love someone that you would die for, and would die for you. This keeps reminding me of Lupin and Tonks. They knew that their love wasn't right, but they loved each other anyway, not caring about anything at all. Actually, I think Lupin and Tonks's story is a lot like Romeo and Juliet with a happier ending. They can't be together because of boundaries (Lupin being a werewolf, etc.) but they still end up together, though they both die in the end. Sorry. I should wrap this up.

Friendship: I think that this is so freaking obvious, I shouldn't have to explain it.

Boom. There's probably 202893751893 more things, but I don't really feel like writing a book on why Twilight sucks. Actually, I think I might. Hmm...
Anyway, sorry if this is a (way, way, way) overdone reply to a Twilighter's comment. Sorry. :P Harry Potter owns Twilight's sorry butt.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas ravynflyte said…
LoveforSeverus: :D Awesome reply there. Reason 2057 = best freaking reason ever. ^_^

2058. Twilight promotes incest. Proof:
Jacob is Bella's boyfriend, or at least for a while. Bella breaks up with Jacob. Jacob cries. Jacob turns into a werewolf. Jacob cries some more like the wussy he is. Bella has a baby with Edward. Jacob falls in love with Bella's baby.
My response: WTF???
Sorry, but that's just disgusting. I'd LOVE to see the Twitards try to think of an excuse to cover that up. Here it is again, just simplified so the dumbest Twilighter can understand: BELLA'S BOYFRIEND FALLS IN LOVE WITH HER BABY. How sick is that? Like, what if the two got married (or not) and had a baby, and then Daddy falls in love with the baby??? Didn't the book SAY that Jacob loved Bella? Now he loves her BABY? Stephanie Meyers, you continuously find ways to disgust me. I'm not sure how this proves that Harry Potter is better than Twilight, but I'm sure as heck that HP doesn't promote incest.

2059. Harry Potter has the BEST music ever. :D Hedwig's theme, Harry's Wondrous World, and that freaking awesome score that plays when you see Hogwarts whose name I just forgot.

smirk
^don't forget Wizard Rock!!!!!
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas k_becca said…
2060. HP characters have their own unique ideas and actually stick to them. For example, Luna and all her creatures! She goes on and on about Nargles and Wrackspurts and Crumple-Horned Snorkacks. The only time in Twilight when someone wasn't believed about a story was Jacob talking about the Quileutes being descended from wolves, and that was his tribe's legend! He wasn't being some crazy dreamer like Luna. Twilight sucks when it comes to character development.
ok I have to add on to 2052: On the "she contradicts herself" she tells and never shows. Bella is "independent" but can't function with out Eddy. Bella is "smart" but goes after James knowing he'll kill her rather than taking the smart way out and telling the centuries old good Sparklepyres. Bella is "plain" but all the guys are attracted to her.

And if you're still not getting it, lets put this in the Potter translator: It would be like Rowling TELLING us Harry has a savior complex but saying "ginny's in the chamber? Who cares?!?!?! I'm not risking my life!!!!" or Jo TELLING us the Dark Lord isn't evil but still having him kill thousands. Get it now?
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas DivyaHarry said…
big smile
^Take that as 2061:
#2062:
When I type Harry on my mobile it suggests Happy. How cool is that?
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas PygmyPuff14 said…
^haha, super-cool! ;)
2063. Meyer claims that her books are "not anti-feminist". How could she say that after writing something as horrible as the Sam-Emily-Leah love triangle?
Leah is supposed to be Sam's girlfriend before he becomes a werewolf. From the books, it's clear that Leah was very much in love with Sam. For some reason, Meyer had to make Leah's life miserable... Enter Emily, Leah's second cousin. Sam imprints on Emily. Why doesn't Sam imprint on Leah? From what I've deciphered of the books, werewolves imprint on women who are capable of helping them take the werewolf gene forward i.e. women who are capable of reproducing. So, Sam imprints on Emily instead of Leah and that causes Leah a hell lot of pain. Is is Leah's fault that she's not as fertile as Emily? The whole idea of finding "true love" in a woman who is more fertile disgusts me.
Also, Sam "accidentally" loses his temper, phases and thrashes Emily, leaving behind extremely large, ugly scars. Isn't that commonly called "domestic violence"? But, no, poor Sam couldn't "control" himself, so Emily forgives him and accepts him as her "True Love". She stays in Forks and makes muffins for the other werewolves. What the hell? People who whip you across the face just because they're angry are NOT in love with you!
What part of all this is NOT sexist, may I ask?

^With you on that one. The feminist in me cringes every time I see that horrible book.
#2064:
HOGWARTS: How original and magical it sounds.
FORKS: What is that? A motel?
Originality is not Meyer's mug of Butterbeer. And again, sparkles don't count.

#2065:
Meyer made her protagonist a reflection of her. So Meyer thinks that she is the prettiest Pygmy Puff in town with all the jerks behind her. And the final straw was naming her ISABELLA SWAN. Arrogant much?
JKR admitted that Hermione is an exaggerated version of herself. Keyword being exaggerated. And she picked an unusual name for Hermione. She didn't name her ALBERTA FIDDLESTEIN or whatever to show that she's a genius.

#2066:
Has been said before, but Meyer is a boring Bowtruckle. JKR is one hell of an AMAZING author. JKR is my literary GOD. Satan wouldn't take Meyer.
#2067:
LOVE. I'll give Twilighters love.

"Look...at...me..." he [Snape] whispered.
The green eyes found the black, but after a second, something in the depths of the dark pair seemed to vanish, leaving them fixed, bland, and empty. The hand holding Harry thudded to the floor, and Snape moved no more.

Those 3 letters are all it takes to pwn Twilight. If that isn't love then put me in front of a firing squad and shoot me. Unrequited yet true. Snape didn't jump off a cliff when Lily married James. He protected her son (who has her eyes) till his last breath. He hated Harry for being James' son but protected him for Lily. He didn't go running behind the next woman who came knocking at his door.

Sorry to all Harry Potter fans for comparing Bella Sue to SEVERUS SNAPE. But the main defense for Twilight is that it is a love story. Just read the above quote from Snape and was deeply depressed. Hence the rant.

Eat slugs Edward and Bella.
monkey
LoveforSeverus - great reasons

DivyaHarry - "The feminist in me cringes every time I see that horrible book." - i agree with you so much!!!
tongue
2068 - we call him eddiekins, Sparklepyres, edwierd - to name just few

the best they got is potheads!!! <-- Twihards - my mother was calling my BF that before you were even born!!!!! (well no acttullay coz im only 17 but you get the point!!)

(well i hope you do otherwise this is a wasted five minutes - sorry about that)

ill shut up now

sorry
big smile
^Pothead sounds cool. 'Cause we're addicted to Harry Potter. :)
^if "pothead" now means addicted to harry potter then I, for one, consider that a great leap in society.

I don't want to seem shallow with this so I'll make it a two in one thing.
2069. Stephenie Meyer thinks she's so effing pretty but she's not. Have you seen her? Not the prettiest Hippogriff in the herd. But JK Rowling is actually pretty but doesn't make it EVERYTHING in her books.

2070. JK Rowling, before she wrote HP, was a struggling, poor, single mother. Before Meyer wrote Toilet, she was well taken care of by her husband. Now, after they've both written books and have gotten rich and famous, JK Rowling gives A LOT to charity. She helped in Hati back in January I think it was... AND about 20% (I think) of the book sale of each 1)Quidditch through the ages 2)Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them 3) Tales Of Beedle The Bard go to charity. What has Meyer done? Yeah, thats what I thought.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas twi-heart said…
angry
we all; know twilight is better than hp
mischievous
^May I ask for proof? You come on here and say that but you have no evidence when we, so obviously, do.
@twi-heart: If it is, please give your reasons at the "1000 reasons why Twilight is better than Harry Potter spot" 'cause they really need you.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas souflizzle317 said…
@twi-heart, do you realize that by this point, people on this forum (well, I am at least) are getting really sick of twihards randomly joining in just to say that twilight is so obviously better than harry potter, when you don't have any reasons.

2071. Adding to the whole predictability thing, I'm just going to bring up Moody. He was the last person I ever expected to die (none of the characters expected it either) because he just seemed like the kind of guy who would always be around and just couldn't die. When Bill I think it was arrived at the Burrow and announced that Moody was dead, I was genuinely shocked. Not only was it unpredictable (unlike Twilight) but it was unpredictable because JKR developed her characters so well that I felt like I knew them, and I was surprised that someone like Moody could be killed by a Death Eater.

2072. In sixth grade, if we finished projects early we could work on extra-credit. I was working on an extra-credit PowerPoint about Harry Potter. Not only did I *not* finish it because the year ended before I could get all the information in, but I had 45 pages of things about the books, themes, Quidditch, characters etc and I still wasn't done. This shows how much detail and thought goes into Harry Potter, as opposed to the two pages it would take to make a PowerPoint about Twilight.
^Cool man. PPT's and all. Wish we had projects on Harry Potter.
heart
^^ i have decide to make one :D:D
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas PygmyPuff14 said…
@twi-heart: "we all; know twilight is better than hp"
Who does "we" refer to? Because if it refers to the people on this forum, I think most of us think Harry Potter is better.
mischievous
EdTard told me that he thinks Harry Potter is better. SUCK ON THAT.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas potterrox said…
abdcfoan- he told you personally? It sounded like that was what you were saying. And dang, even twilight's reason for existance thinks HP is better!
Do you hear that twifans!!!! The "actor"who plays Eddy thinks HP is better!!!
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas -Alohomora- said…
2073 - Harry can rock converse way better than Bella can.
 2073 - Harry can rock converse way better than Bella can.
kiss
2074 ^^ that moment when harry screamed was so powerful, so moving (this is no word of a lie) the studio cut it out and ran the film in silence (check if you dont believe me) This is so the sound would not upset the little kids!!
When Bella curled up in a little ball in the forest i was giggling and saying how her coat would get dirty - basically it had no emotion!!
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas pinkelephant1 said…
monkey
@scarlett009 and lauracullen: in what world, excactly?
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas pinkelephant1 said…
monkey
well.
2075) it HAS A PLOT! when has either bella OR edward done anything worthwhile? no fights ever happen. no conflict, besides the abusive relationship edward and bella are in, in which she is so weak that her sparkly boyfriend with control issues (doesn't let her see her friends) must watch her sleep, otherwise she can't sleep.
2076) bella can't go three pages without crying or fainting. at least the main characters in hp have a spine and accomplish things. what has bella ever done? oh yeah, i meant besides her epic suicide jump off a cliff because she heard edward's voice. at least hp characters are SANE.
2077) harry potter movies are interesting. when i was watching new moon in theaters, i was LAUGHING when all the supposedly "serious" scenes were happening. and everyone else only showed emotion when taylor took his shirt off. so hah.
2078) vampires do not climb trees. werewolves do not form relationships with babies. in hp, the mythical characters are true to themselves and what they traditionally are.
2079) hp is funny! nothing funny ever happens in twilight. in hp, the book is not constantly about how harry must face voldy. there are real conflicts and funny side scenes. in twilight, even when bella goes shopping she gets assaulted. super.
2080) if you read the "why twilight is better than hp", they have about 20 reasons last time i checked. the fact that hp already has 2080 shows that most people understand it and like it better. end of story.
monkey
some one said SM was ugly - but i think shes gorgeous. The thing i will say is she looks like the description of Bella - long brown hair, chocolate eyes, pale skin - and thats just rubbish. NONE of the main HP leads look anything like JK - she has imagination!!!!!
hmmm
^I said Smeyer was ugly. It just, she plays herself up through Bella and obviously she makes looks seem like everything in Toilet. I've just seen more pics than not that just weren't flattering. However, Jo Rowling always seems very pretty in pictures so... yeah.
I don't think sMeyers that pretty either! And I agree. JK always looks good in the pictures I've seen of her, apart from the ones where she's talking.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas Athiya said…
JKR's looks kind and pretty in her pictures! :D

(I'd give anything to have a copy of DH straight from her hands! xD)
 JKR's looks kind and pretty in her pictures! :D (I'd give anything to have a copy of DH straight fro
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas pygmypuff04 said…
his eyes are as fresh pickled toad......That sounds 1000000000000000000000000000000000000 times better than the lame explaination of how HOT EDWARD Is!!!!
im not saying JK is ugly - far from it - it just SM being ugly is not a very good reason to hate her - so i bought up the self-insertion point.
Thats all :)
I wondered what the heck you were on about then...until I read the 'lame explanation bit' and onwards. Tehe
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas nisrn said…
2081- because there are at least one shocking thing in every chapter of the book
2082- twilight is all about love, and we all know edward loves bella. Smeyer doesn't have to explain that into 4 books
2083. I've mentioned this before, but I'm just going to mention it again, and add a little. First, JKR was the commencement speaker at Harvard College 2008 graduation (I say college because it was just the undergrad, not the law school or anything - don't flip at me, I know it's a university. Harvard's been my dream since I was six). Not some random community college in Scotland. She was asked to speak at HARVARD and hundreds (possibly thousands) of people only went to the graduation so they could hear her speak (ahem me and my older sister). Smeyer, as far as I know, has never been asked to speak at a graduation and if she did, I sincerely doubt many people would go to any lengths to get tickets to that graduation to hear her unless they had a kid graduating. Now, for the addition to that reason: whenever Smeyer talks in her interviews, she talks about how her life was basically perfect and then she had a dream and wrote about it and now she thinks she deserves to be considered a literary genius like Shakespeare, Jane Austen, Robert Louis Stevenson etc. When JKR spoke at the Harvard graduation ( link if you haven't see it, WATCH IT it's amazing), she spoke about the benefits of failure and the importance of imagination. she has experienced much failure herself and she has a clearly amazing imagination, and so her speech had depth to it from her own life and she was able to convey, with humor in all the right places, that failing is disappointing but you can learn from it and take you in new ways and that imagination is crucial to life. if you think about it, JKR is first of all, a much better public speaker (WATCH THE VIDEO) but she also knows the right lessons and things to tell to people who are about to leave college and set off into the world on their own. I was only 12 when I heard her speak, and it impacted me, so what do you think it meant to the college graduates? Compare that to a woman obsessed a thesaurus and outward beauty only who thinks her books are pure, classic literature, and I think you have your answer.

2084. Not very important, but I'm going to mention it anyway. Nobody's perfect, and not just in personality. Nobody has perfect bodies either. Some people have bad vision, some have bad teeth, and some have bad skin. Who in Twilight has glasses? Angela, in the movie. I don't think she has them in the book. Which means that according to Smeyer, glasses are for losers and not her "perfect" characters. In Harry Potter, however, enough people have glasses to make it realistic. Harry, Dumbledore, McGonagall, Arthur Weasley (I think), Percy, and a lot of other people I can't think of right now. Who in Twilight has braces? That's what I thought. Hermione, in the books, clearly had braces until Goyle cursed her (something along the lines of "my parents wanted me to keep on with my braces......when madam pomfrey was shrinking my teeth, i just let her carry on a bit more"). And lastly, who in Twilight has bad skin? Mhm...Does anyone remember Eloise Midgen? She was so affected by her acne that she tried to curse it off and ended up removing her nose.
^I don't hate Smeyer because of her looks. This is how I view it (just hear me out): In her books, looks are EVERYTHING. Literally, I bet you will find, like, 10 pages with out Bella carrying on about someone's looks. Thus, since it is obviously so important to her, I feel it should be brought in. Just my opinion.

2085. Harry Potter inspired me to read.
After reading HP I was thinking "imagine what ELSE could be out there that I've never exposed myself to". So I am currently reading Warriors, DaVinci Code, and Percy Jackson.
Twilight, however, made me want to stop reading. No joke, Harry Potter was the first book I had willingly picked up in about 8 months. And thats not good. I believe Twilight is subliminal mind control.
@LoveforSeverus: DaVinci Code is good. Haven't read the other two. Let me know. And totally with you on Harry Potter making you want to read. That was the first book that I truly enjoyed and hence started reading other books.

@souflizzle317: I saw the video. It was truly inspiring. And it was funny. I wished I was there in person to see it.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas elderwand said…
i m giving a taste of JKR's writing work ---

The thin man stepped out of the cauldron, staring at Harry… and Harry stared back into the face that had haunted his nightmares for three years. Whiter than a skull, with wide, livid scarlet eyes and a nose that was flat as a snakes with slits for nostrils…

this is it.... she's the best... no one can write like her.....

2086 such powerful lines when Voldemort was introduced one he got his body....... while valturi was just described....

2087 harry was brave.... he starred at his foe.... imagine bella in this condition... she would have committed suicide even b4 voldy think about killing her...
2088 it took 4 twilight books to bring bella and edward togather..... wtf like it wasn't clear at the end of first book.... what a waste of 3 books....

2089 apart from main story(harry killig voldemort) thr were a large no of side stories......
dumbledore's story
snapes love for lily
moony wormtail padfoot & prongs...
legend's like that of Chamber's of secret
tale of three brothers
jame's love
prophecy...
harry's love
ron n hermoiny
petunia's story... (i can like continue forever)
2090 twilight fans says there is no love in HP series........ so they are dumbass...

2091 Snape's love for lily is incomparable and greater than any love shown in twilight...

2092 Warner bros. roxxx

2093 JKR herself read the first chapter of DH

2094 Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

2095 more than once JKR have written books for charity, tat woman is great

2096 Severus Snape

2097 HP games roxxx they are created by EA (most popular gaming company)

2098 There can't be twilight games coz porn games are illegal....lol

2099 HP is a brand worth US$ 5 billion.... twilight is not even 1% of this

2100 <-- this fig. itself tells the story.......
cool
Haha I'm with you on the 2098. :)

Yesterday, my frustration towards Twilight came to a head so I'm writing a paper with some friends about why I don't like Twilight and other problems with it.
2101. where are the official twilight fan sites? i know that there are fan sites, but there aren't any that are fan run but have access to all the real information. for harry potter, i know there are hundreds of fan sites just like the ones for twilight, but there is also The Leaky Cauldron ( www.the-leaky-cauldron.org ) and Mugglenet ( www.mugglenet.com ) which were founded by fans and are still run by fans, but they are also very distinguished web sites that are very official and get all the real information from direct sources and they run contests to win trips to set or sets of autographed books etc. Not to mention LeakyCon was formed by the people who run The Leaky Cauldron. If you haven't been to either of these sites, check them out. they're both GREAT!!!! (and if you get a chance to attend LeakyCon, go! I skipped two days of school to go to LeakyCon 2009 with my older sister and it was so worth it!! )

2102. I don't remember if I said this before so I'll say it again: Where are the pets in Twilight? None of the mortals even have pets, and through her vampires, Smeyer is promoting killing hundreds/thousands of animals a year just for their blood. I wonder how animal activists and vegetarians feel about these books....Meanwhile, in Harry Potter, nearly every character or family has a pet, even if it's just an owl to carry their mail. Pets can be very important to humans and they're not just shallow animals to feed and walk. People become very attached to their pets. I was bawling when my two dogs were put down within 2 weeks of each other, and my friend was upset for a week when her dog died, and my other friend came to school crying when her cat ran away. The lack of pets in Twilight just goes adds to the proof that the characters don't need anyone except their "true love", which isn't healthy.
^I would personally like a bet Fwooper, a Kneezle, and a Granin. Since they won't let me get a restrained Lithifold or a Kelpie.
^ and you just made me think, even if there were pets in Twilight, it would be a dog, a cat, maybe a fish or bird. JKR used creativity in her animals :)
2103 For the Gold Galleon, the Silver Sickle, and the Bronze Knut....

2104 set of HP movies >>>>>>> twilight....... man they actually created Hogwarts.... a beautiful set any one will die to work on..... on the other hand we have twilight set...a trolley car, a bike and police station ha-ha.......