As we all know most of the songs from 'This Is Acting' were rejected sa pamamagitan ng other artists. This feature makes it a unique and singular album, a grand experiment that Sia decided to face
And like she declared on "Good Morning America": it was something that she wanted to prove, that the songs were good enough to be on an album and be played on the radio.
1. First, let's talk about 'Bird Set Free'. This song was composed sa pamamagitan ng Sia and Greg Kurstin for the movie Pitch Perfect 2 but it was rejected to give the opportunity to 'Flashlight' sa pamamagitan ng Jessie J, also co-written sa pamamagitan ng Sia (with Sam Smith, Christian Guzman and Jason Moore). Then the song was offered to Rihanna, who also rejected it. Then Adele finally recorded it for his latest album, '25', but was not included in the tracklist.
She told link
: "I had seller's remorse with "Bird Set Free" every time it went away and then came back. First it went to Rihanna and then it was returned. Then it went to Adele, and Adele cut it and sounded amazing on it. Then it was returned. The truth is that we wrote "Bird Set Free" for Pitch Perfect 2. They rejected it and took another song of ours called "Flashlight." That become a big thing through the movie, but I could not believe they rejected "Bird Set Free" because to me it was such a big, anthemic, fun, sing-along-in-the-car song. I felt seller's remorse. I had grief. I feel connected to that song".
2. 'Alive': The first single from the seventh studio album sa pamamagitan ng Sia was written with Adele and Tobias Jesso Jr. for the latest album sa pamamagitan ng the British artist, Sia has stated that the song was recorded sa pamamagitan ng Adele, but the songstress rejected the song at the last minuto sa pamamagitan ng telling her that the song was to much Sia and less Adele.
3. 'One Million Bullets': This beautiful song was co-written sa pamamagitan ng Sia with composer Jesse Shatkin who also is the co-writer of "Chandelier", this is the only song on the album that was not written for any other artist and like "Chandelier" I feel like is a very personal song for her.
4. 'Move Your Body': Written sa pamamagitan ng Sia, Greg Kurstin and Kenan Williams, this song was created to Shakira but it was rejected sa pamamagitan ng the Colombian artist. Is fair to say that this song exudes Shakira's style everywhere.
Sia has already stated: "One of them is a Shakira reject, which there's no doubt when you hear it. You'll know that it was a Shakira reject because I sound like Shakira"
. - link
5. 'Unstoppable': It was co-written sa pamamagitan ng Sia with Christopher Braide and Kenan Williams. Some media has speculated that it was written for Demi Lovato's album "Confident" or Katy Perry but the truth is that there is no certainty about this.
6. 'Cheap Thrills': It was composed sa pamamagitan ng Sia with Greg Kurstin for Rihanna, who rejected it. Sia admitted on a kamakailan interview that she realized that maybe the song was too british-pop, like Icona Pop music and that could be the reason why Rihanna rejected the song. "I went to Greg [Kurstin], and that's what we came up with. I realized just as soon as I was cutting it that it sounded a little bit too Brit-pop for her. It's madami Icona Pop. We did actually send it to her, but they passed on it, and then I just couldn't stop listening to it in the car. For some reason, I really liked listening to it which makes me feel masturbatory, but I wouldn't normally be just jamming out to my own tunes. There's something really uplifting about it that put me in a good mood, and I would just pretend it wasn't me pag-awit [laughs]. It felt very summer and fun, and I was like, "I'll put that on there."
7. 'Reaper': It was written sa pamamagitan ng Sia with Kanye West, Noah Goldstein, Charles Misodi Njapa and Dom Olo also for Rihanna, but Sia decided to keep the song following her manager's suggestion.
She told link
: "I don't care about the song. I know in print that will look bad, but what I mean is I'm not emotionally attached to it. I thought it was a fun song. I think it's a good, fun song, but I didn't anticipate it being on the record. But my manager really likes it so I put it on for him."
8. 'House On Fire': It was written sa pamamagitan ng Sia with Jack Antonoff but it is unknown for whom was intended. Some sites like link
has told that the song could have been a good Katy Perry cut for PRISM.
9. 'Footprints': It was co-written with Tyler Williams, Josh Valle and Nikhil Seetharam for Beyoncé, , but she declared that she felt connected to the song. "I feel connected to a song called "Footprints." That was a Beyoncé reject that I wrote in the Hamptons a couple years ago"
. - link
10. 'Sweet Design': It was co-written sa pamamagitan ng Sia with Greg Kurstin, Mark Andrews, Robi Rosa, Joseph Longo, Tim Kelley, Bob Robinson, Desmond Child and Marquis Collins; what makes the most collaborative song in their composition but also is the shortest song on the album with a duration of 2:28 mins. Meanwhile, some media, such as Newsday say that was written for Beyoncé for his R & B style in rhythm.
Others, like link
has stated that the song was originally intended for J.Lo: "Tailor-made for Jennifer Lopez and with a touch of Amerie’s “1 Thing,” “Sweet Design” seesaws between blustery progressions and split-second key-changes that could leave a sprinter breathless"
. I think the song bumagay J.Lo better than Beyoncé, but that's just my opinion...
11. 'Broken Glass': It was written sa pamamagitan ng Sia with Jasper Leak and Jesse Shatkin for Demi Lovato.
12. 'Space Between':The song was written sa pamamagitan ng Sia with Christopher Braide then it was sent to Rihanna who actually selected the song for her new album ANTI, but Sia felt a connection with the song and as she sinabi in 'Good Morning America': she felt "seller's remorse", and then she decided to ask Rihanna if she didn't mind sending the song back to her, to what Rihanna accepted.