The Host Hypothetical Casting Call

nicole62 posted on Jan 17, 2010 at 01:56AM
Ever since joining this site, I have come across many dream casts forums, but nothing that would qualify as a casting call for the forthcoming movie adaptation. I understand that we all have our own personal preferences or fantasies from our reading experience; however, these ideas aren’t always the most realistic or take into account the whole description of the characters.

For instance, I imagined Ian looking like my long-time boyfriend (they have similar personalities) and Melanie as a young Elisha Dushku (as from her days on Buffy and Bring It On). While I was reading the novel, these ideas were perfectly fine because it was my imagination, but they would never work for the soon-to-be-filmed movie. One, my boyfriend cannot act and he has dirty blonde hair. Two, Dushku is now 29 and looks too old to play a 20-21 year old.

So, I’m challenging everyone to put their dream casts aside and really think about who could be cast to play each part for The Host movie adaptation that will probably start filming late this year or sometime in 2011. To do this, you need to take into account the majority of the character description--including how old they presently look and their height compared to rest of the cast--just as Stephenie Meyer, Nick Weschler, Steve and Paula Mae Schwartz will do during the real casting call. Wouldn’t it be cool if we got some of the picks right?!

Character Descriptions:

1. Melanie/Wanda - 20-21 years old; dark brown or mahogany hair; muddy green hazel eyes; light brown tan that never fades; tall with athletic build.

2. Pet/Wanda - 16 almost 17 years old; wavy blond hair; silver eyes; round face with fair skin and freckles; very petite; the shortest one in the rebel cell except for the children.

3. Ian - 25 years old (stated by Meyer in an interview); black hair; vivid blue eyes; straight nose; very fair skin; tall, muscular, and strong; "kind enough to be a soul but strong as only a human could be.”

4. Jared - 29-30 years old; hair a few shades darker than his light golden brown skin with golden streaks; dark eyes with flex of gold (liquid sienna); hard rectangular face with long, thin nose, and full lips; was sweet and excitable but bitter after Mel's capture.

5. Jamie - recently turned 14; silky, unkempt black hair to his chin; chocolate eyes; sun-darkened skin; thin and wiry body; kind and open minded.

6. Uncle Jeb - probably late 50s-60s; white hair and thick beard; faded blue jean eyes; wrinkled skin with big cleft-tipped nose and wide cheekbones; “crazy like a fox.”

7. Doc - light brown or dark blond hair; long slender body with thin features; one of the tallest in the rebel cell; compassionate and emotional.

8. Kyle - 30 years old; looks like Ian but bigger and has a crooked nose; tallest person in the rebel cell; usually aggressive and angry.

9. Sunny - 27 years; long black curly hair; tanned skin; tiny like a girl but subtle curves to show that she is a woman; sweet and shy.

10. Seeker/Lacey - black hair to her chin; olive-toned skin; very small; irritable.

11. Sharon - deep red hair; she and her mother Maggie are easily annoyed and like drama.

12. Aunt Maggie - dark gray rather than white hair; mass of wrinkles.

13. Lily - probably at least 5-10 years older than Wes; caramel-skinned woman; dry sense of humor; never ruffled by others.

14. Wes - 19 years; bristly black hair that stands up like steel wool; olive-toned skin; shy.

15. Walter - pallid man with white hair; sick and easily tired but cheerful.

16. Trudy - salt and pepper braid.

17. Geoffrey - balding; red-cheeked.

The Host 299 ang sumagot

Click here to write a response...

Showing Replies 201-250 of 299

sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas nicole62 said…
Sorry, I've been super busy. I recently got engaged! So, wedding planning has started =)

Anyways, I like him. I've never seen him act, but I googled him and he is very cute! He fits Ian's description very well. His eye color can be easily fixed with contacts. He is only 22, but he looks older, and if they had someone young like Arielle Kebbel play Melanie, it would look fine. Plus he is also a good match for Tom Welling (who has been suggested for Kyle).
 Sorry, I've been super busy. I recently got engaged! So, wedding planning has started =) Anyways, I
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas alrob89 said…
Finally came across someone I can visualize as Pet. Well Rachel Hurd Wood does it for me too, but she is soooo red-headed.
link
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas murri_gh said…
Hey nicole62 congratulations and good to have you back. So, I agree about Adam Gregory he looks like Ian, but I don't know if he could pull it of, he looks a lot like a fraternity/sorority kind of guy who just doesn't match Ian. About Lisa Sheldon, she looks like Pet, but how old is she? She looks kind of old for a 16 year old.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas kuncuyug said…
big smile
Congratulations nicole62! I'm really happy for you!
Lisa Sheldon is pretty but she looks older than 16. She's got freckles like Pet which is nice. I posted a photo of Rachel Hurd Wood with blonde hair earlier. She looks good like that.
Hey has anyone menetioned John Reardon for Jared? He looks a little like Jensen Ackles
I think John Reardon is a handsome guy. I remember him from somewhere but I can't tell from where. I don't know Jensen is more handsome, you know :)
big smile
I saw him in White Chicks, and what's funny is that I've seen that movie like a thousand times and never thought of him for Jared until this last time I saw it. I think they look a lot alike, but Jenesen is, I don't know if this is the right word, but he's prettier hahaha
John Reardon is very handsome in a rugged way, but I agree Jensen is "beautiful." I can't think of a better word. He is someone I could imagine Melanie describing as "the most beautiful man alive" or whatever she said.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas AlisonMichelle said…
smile
Well, I like these, but I totally understand if someone doesn't. Quite a few of them are from my favorite movies, because, well, that's how I know if an actor's good. Anyways:
Melanie - Keira Knightley
Pet/Wanda - Dakota Fanning
Ian - Jackson Rathbone
Jared - Kellan Lutz
Jamie - Maxwell Records
Jeb - Muse Watson
Doc - Paul Bettany/Peter Facinelli
Kyle - Orlando Bloom
Sunny - Ashley Greene
Seeker/Lacey - Mila Kunis
Sharon - Mia Wasikowska (she was Alice in the newest Alice in wonderland, the one by Tim Burton)
Maggie - Maggie Smith
Lily - Anne Hathaway
Wes - Tom Sturridge
Walter - Michael Gambon
Trudy - Gemma Jones
Geoffrey - Michael Sheen

I love all these guys, and as you may have noticed, quite a few are from twilight/new moon/eclipse. Well, the actors are great, and you don't have to be stubborn about it just because you don't like twilight. Don't mean to lecture you, but one, twilight is an amazing peice of work, and you just have to accept that, you don't have to love it, just accept it, two, the actors are amazing, even if they were in twilight, they're all extremely proffesional, and twilight wasn't they're only job, and three, if you're a fan of the host, YOU'RE READING SOMETHING BY THE SAME FREAKING AUTHOR, DIMWIT.

Lecture over. Please comment on my character/cast roles, even if you think they're crap. I am seriously curious to see what else people come up with.
Oh, I don't hate twilight. I love it and I love all the actors in it. They were great for their roles but it doesn't mean that they have to be in another movie of Stephenie Meyer's work just because they were in twilight. If they are the right people for the roles of the host, I wouldn't mind seeing them in the host, too. Personally, I would prefer to see different actors because then the movie would feel more real to me.
You picked Keira Knightley for Melanie which I think is not a good choice because she doesn't look like a 21 year old girl any more. She's too skinny and she doesn't have the same skin color as Mel.
For Pet, Dakota can be a good choice because she fits the description and she's around the same age. I don't know if she's angelic looking enough though.
For Jared, I never thought of Kellan but I think he's younger than Jared's age which is 29. Kellan is 25. He doesn't have wrinkles around his eyes like Jared's. But maybe he could be a nice Jared. I don't know.
I like your choice for Doc. I like Paul Bettany as Doc. He fits the description and is a good actor.
When you read the description for Kyle, you will see that Orlando Bloom may not be the best choice because Kyle is muscular. He's the tallest one in the cell.
I like your choice for Maggie. Maggie Smith can be a nice Maggie, I guess.
Wow, that was different AlisonMichelle. I've always liked this place because it had been a pacific place where we could all speak our ideas and get positive feedback. There's no need to get agressive.
I don't know where you got the idea of us hating Twilight. Most of the people here, if not all, are Stephenie Meyer's fans, which automatically turns us into Twilight fans.
Now, about your choices, I used to liked Keira, but she's too old and too skinny for Mel.I don't like Jackson Rathbone, Kellan Lutz, Tom Sturridge, Anne Hathaway, Ashley Green and Orlando Bloom just because they don't fit the description in the book, and Dakota does fit, but I agree with what lots of people have been saying, she's not angelic enough. I don't know about Peter Facinelli, I don't know if I want to see him as a doctor in another Meyer's story.
I like Mia Wasilkowska for Sharon and Muse Watson for Jeb, they could work.
Remember this forum is not about people you would like to see in the movie, but about who looks like the description in the book, I have been told that before too. If you have any more ideas post them. :D
Do you like Erik Fellows, the actor that most people seem to like for Ian? I can't really picture him as Ian. Maybe it's because I never saw him in anything.
Hugh Dancy as Doc? I know that this is a much younger photo of him.
 Hugh Dancy as Doc? I know that this is a much younger litrato of him.
I can't really picture Erik Fellows as Ian either. He looks too dark (he is part Italian), slim, and kind of menacing just like Ian Somerhalder. I do think he would be a better choice than Somerhalder since he is taller and looks younger (he is only 29 years old). If they cast someone who has a slim build, I think Chase Crawford would fit better than Fellows or Somerhalder.

Hugh Dancy appears to have darker hair than Doc's description, but he fits the rest. He isn't super tall, but not short.
last edited sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas
I like Hugh Dancy for Doc, and although he's not that tall he has the overall look :D
hmmm
Hey, do you think Lucas Blck would make a good Jared? I'm kind of in the middle
hmmm
I mean he's handsome but not like Jared handsome.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas edp said…
smile
I found another Melanie.

Her name is Peyton List. She is 24, but I think she looks younger. She worked on good TV shows with minor roles. link
Her skin and hair color fits Mel's description. But unfortunately I couldn't find her weight.
 I found another Melanie. Her name is Peyton List. She is 24, but I think she looks younger. She wo
I just saw The King of California with Michael Douglas and now I'm really convinced he could be an excellent Jeb. About Peyotn List, I like her, she's 5'7'', she reminds me a little bit of Ashley Green though
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas edp said…
Yes, I thought she looks like Greene when I read your comment :)
About Michael Douglas, he would be good as Jeb.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas johnhelms said…
I like the choice of Erik Fellows as Ian.. He is a new fresh face and there is something about that is star quality..I watched him on Days of our lives..he was really good.. he also has been in CSI NY and a couple other films... He also was the lead guy in the Lindsay Lohan video "RUMORS", and Katharine McPhee video "LOVE STORY".. he is freaking HOT
 I like the choice of Erik Fellows as Ian.. He is a new fresh face and there is something about that i
I like Peyton List but she's not like the Mel I imagined. I don't know I imagined her darker and prettier.
I think Erik is really cute. Especially in this photo.
What about her as Sharon? Her name is Jennifer Morrison. Maybe too pretty for Sharon?
 What about her as Sharon? Her name is Jennifer Morrison. Maybe too pretty for Sharon?
It took a long time to answer, but I'm back again :D
I like her for Sharon.
I was thinking of Freida Pinto for Melanie, I think she's too old for playing Mel, but she actually looks younger
That's ok. We're all on holiday :)
Freida Pinto is beautiful but you know she's an Indian girl. I think Mel should be played by an American looking girl. I was rereading the host and I realized why Missy Peregrym could be nice as Mel. The whole description of Mel is very much like Missy. The big cheek bones, almond shaped eyes, tall and athletic body. All matches the description. The only problem is that she's too old now. I could imagine her as Mel this time when I read the book. In one scene, she was Mel and in the other Mel was Odette.
I thought the best actor for Doc is really Paul Bettany. He fits the whole description really well.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas nicoleCab said…
My dream cast for the host would be:
Jared- Jensen Ackles
Mel/Wanda- Jessica Alba
Ian- Ian Somerhalder
Kyle- Kellon Lutz
Jamie- Josh Hutcherson
Pet/Wanda-Hayden Panettiere
Doc-Robert Sean Leonard

What do ya'll think of those picks?

sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas Emma425 said…
funny that ppl are bringing up accents oddly enough I think this is the type of movie much like Mamma Mia were different accents might be ok
Yes, you're right about Missy, she's perfect, too bad she's too old, although it might work. and nicole Cab, I like Robert Sean Leonard, he could be a good doc
Hey, I was thinking about Freida Pinto for Mel and you know,she's indian of course, but I've always pictured Melanie looking a little bit latin, and me as a latin girl see Freida and she looks like "one of us" lol so maybe that's why I thought she could play Mel. Still I like Missy or Maira Walsh better
Well, "American-looking" girl could really mean anything. Americans have Anglo-Saxon, Celtic, Western European, Eastern European, Scandinavian, Mediterranean, Middle-Eastern, African, Indian, Asian, Pacific, and Native American ancestry (and usually mixed). And even with the same heritage, people can look radically different. My older brother and I don't look exactly the same and we have similar genes. I just wanted to point that out... haha.

I saw Melanie having a background of Anglo-Saxon (Stryder is English) and one of the following to create her darker skin tone:
- Latin
- Native American
- Mediterrean
- Middle-Eastern
- Indian
I initially jumped to Anglo-Saxon and Latin because I'm from Texas and have many friends of that mixed heritage (and it's very common in the U.S.) and Melanie's mother's name is Linda (I know a few older Latin women with that name).

By the way, Freida Pinto may not be completely Indian. Her last name is Portuguese (the first settlers to India in the 1400s), so she may have ancestry from that area as well, which may explain why you think she looks Latina.
Middle-Eastern and Mediterranean? So Melanie could be Turkish as well :) There are a lot of Turkish actresses who look exactly like her description but their accent would be a problem :)
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas bubbles4u22 said…
big smile
My dream cast would be:
Jared:Joe Jonas (lol xD)
Pet/Wanda:Gilland Jones
Doc:Sean Whalen
Jamie:Freddie Highmore( minus the British accent.. xD)

I can't think of the rest right now. I had no specific actors or actresses i envisioned for them...or maybe I did and din't even know they were actors... lol you might wanna imdb/google these people... haha I think they would fit the roles, though... :)
Kuncuyug, I could see a young Turkish woman (or someone with a Turkish background) playing Melanie. That would be an interesting twist to what we usually see on screen =)

Bubbles4u22, I'm not sure that you fully read the outline for this forum. It's not a dream cast but more of an "realistic" cast. The people we suggest on here fit as close to the character description as possible (hair color, skin tone, height, close to the same age, etc.) and we attempt to leave out our own fantasy people.

Joe Jonas is (and looks) too young to play a 30 year old and has very dark hair. Gilland Jones has the right age and hair BUT what is her height and can she not TAN (haha)? Sean Whalen definitely looks like Doc, but he's a bit short at only 5'8" (1.73 m). Freddie Highmore would have been a nice option a few years ago, but he is 18 now and looks a bit old in recent pictures to play a 14 year old.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas lynne1123 said…
Hey guys, I wanted your input on something. I have a friend who's really interested in playing Mel: she's 18, brown-haired, has light brown eyes, and she's both athletic (track and mountain biking) and tan. She's not a professional, but she's been in community theatre since second grade, and played all different kinds of characters and emotions. Do you guys think she'd work? I think of her face every time I hear the Mel description.
 uy guys, I wanted your input on something. I have a friend who's really interested in playing Mel: s
Sorry. She doesn't look like how I imagined Mel. I don't mean to hurt you with this opinion.
I have a suggestion for Heidi. I think Anna Paquin could play her because she's got the right look but it's a very minor role for a famous actress like her.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas bubbles4u22 said…
laugh
Oh my gosh... Kelsey Sanders! lol MEL!!!! Does she not look like Mel? lol :D:D:D:D:D
 Oh my gosh... Kelsey Sanders! lol MEL!!!! Does she not look like Mel? lol :D:D:D:D:D
My thoughts on her haven't changed. She's a pretty girl but she doesn't look like Mel to me.
Yeah, I agree. She is very pretty, but looks too Celtic and Northern European to fit Melanie's description. It's funny that people only focus on Melanie's brown hair and sometimes her height, but they don't look at other features described in the book.
What do you think about Malcolm Mcdowell as Jeb? I think he has those denim colored eyes and white beard, and that kind of crazy, genius look in his eyes. What do you think?
 What do you think about Malcolm Mcdowell as Jeb? I think he has those denim colored eyes and white be
I don't know. My Jeb has always been Sam Elliot, even without the blue eyes. I've only ever seen Malcolm McDowell play these cool, calm and collected characters. Jeb is supposed to be really chill, and I don't get that vibe from him. He looks the part and could play him, but I don't get that same feeling from him as I get from Sam Elliot. Malcolm doesn't look like the kinda guy who could survive in a cave in the desert for months after an alien invasion.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas lilyjpac said…
Jamie Stryder-----------> MMacaulay.com
 Jamie Stryder-----------> MMacaulay.com
I'm not really sure of this but Alexis Dziena could be Sunny. What do you think? I know the photos of her on the net are way too sexy but she plays Kristen Bell's sister in the movie, When in Rome.
I think Alexis Dziena would be wonderful as Sunny. I have seen her in Fool's Gold and Nick & Nora's Infinite Playlist. She was good in both. Alexis can definitely play the sweet, slightly ditsy girl. She is petite and has that very young look, but is older (26 years) like Sunny. When I did a search of photos, I found a few of her not looking sexy, like this one:
 I think Alexis Dziena would be wonderful as Sunny. I have seen her in Fool's ginto and Nick & Nora's I
In this one, she looks like Sunny very much. Only her eyes are green but there are contacts for that.
How about Kevin Mckidd for Doc? I know he's got reddish blonde hair but I think he could be good.
You're both totally right: Alexis would be a really good choice for Sunny. She does look like a girl but also a woman, which would be hard to find in someone younger or older. I know the description above doesn't have Sunny's eye color - it's supposed to be dark, like brown or black, right?
Kevin Mckidd also seems like a good pick. He's a good actor and he's the right age, but he's really into Grey's Anatomy, and it might not be possible to get him for The Host. If he couldn't do the whole movie, he could always do a small part as Burns (didn't he have reddish blonde hair?). I still think it'll be hard to beat these two picks for the characters. They both fit really well.