For Immediate Release
SIRE RECORDS TO RELEASE ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK TO FOX SEARCHLIGHT PICTURES’ (500) DAYS OF SUMMER ON JULY 14TH
Soundtrack to Sundance Audience Favorite Features Music by The Smiths, Regina Spektor, Feist, Black Lips, Doves, Carla Bruni, Wolfmother, and Others
July 1, 2009 — Burbank, CA — Sire Records will release the original soundtrack to the Fox Searchlight Pictures’ feature film (500) Days of Summer on July 14th. The film received a standing ovation at its debut screening during the 2009 Sundance Film Festival and releases in select theaters on July 17th, 2009.
(500) Days of Summer is not a love story. It is a story of boy meets girl, begins the wry, probing narrator, and with that the film takes off at breakneck speed into a funny, true-to-life and unique dissection of the unruly and unpredictable year-and-a-half of one young man’s no-holds-barred love affair.
(500) Days of Summer is the feature film directorial debut from Marc Webb, a noted music video director who has lensed clips for such artists as Regina Spektor, My Chemical Romance, Weezer, and Green Day. So it’s no surprise that pop music plays an important role in setting the tone in (500) Days of Summer. In keeping with the film’s playfully unorthodox nature, the soundtrack features a host of offbeat artists, including Regina Spektor, Feist, Black Lips, Doves, Carla Bruni, and The Smiths. In a key moment in the film, Tom (played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt) is listening to the latter’s song “There Is A Light That Never Goes Out” on his iPod, while riding in an elevator with Summer (played by Zooey Deschanel), who overhears it and comments that she loves The Smiths.
(500) Days of Summer is a movie about love, sure, but it's also a movie about music,” says Webb. “These songs build bridges between Tom and Summer and they tear them down. They can make you dance and they can make you cry. They describe how we feel and express emotions that just couldn't get out any other way. Music is the soul of this movie.”
Robert Davis, writing in Paste Magazine said of the film: “The dialogue is sharp and witty, the soundtrack is hip and indie, Gordon-Levitt is effortlessly funny, and wide-eyed Deschanel is a good foil for his quirks.”
(500) Days of Summer had its world premiere at the 2009 Sundance Film Festival. Directed by Marc Webb and written by Scott Neustadter and Michael Weber, (500) Days of Summer stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel. The film was produced by Mason Novick, Jessica Tuchinsky, Mark Waters, and Steven Wolfe.
The track-listing for the Original Soundtrack to (500) Days of Summer is as follows:
1. A Story of Boy Meets Girl - Mychael Danna and Rob Simonsen
2. Us - Regina Spektor
3. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out - The Smiths
4. Bad Kids - Black Lips
5. Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want - The Smiths
6. There Goes The Fear - Doves
7. You Make My Dreams - Hall & Oates
8. Sweet Disposition - The Temper Trap
9. Quelqu'un M'a Dit - Carla Bruni
10. Mushaboom - Feist
11. Hero - Regina Spektor
12. Bookends - Simon & Garfunkel
13. Vagabond - Wolfmother
14. She's Got You High - Mumm-Ra
15. Here Comes Your Man - Meaghan Smith
16. Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want - She & Him
For more information contact: email@example.com