Ang Opisina Women's Appreciation Thoughts?

papa posted on May 04, 2007 at 07:49AM
Ok, I'll be frank, this was easily the worst episode of season 3 and possibly the worst episode of the entire series. Yeah, I disliked it that much.

Which is surprising, since the tandem that wrote the episode also did The Fight (great), The Convention (pretty good) and Michael's Birthday (solid).

What sucked:
- The sexual references were just crude and over-the-top.
- Michael was mostly annoying in this episode (and he's usually my favorite character)
- Yet another Office meeting to have Michael ruminate on a sensitive topic (this part of the formula is getting a little tired)

What was still enjoyable:
- Learning about the Michael-Jan chemistry was pretty amusing. So she's the tiger in the bedroom. Hilarious.
- Shallow Kelly moments were worth a chuckle. Loved it when she charged headlong into the Victoria's Secret.
- Creed mentioning that he's a pretty normal guy (with the exception of using the women's bathroom for "number 2")
- Finding out that Ryan once tried to make a move on Karen (wow!)

Anyway, I'm sure the Office will get its mojo back. Every season has its share of clunkers. Let's hope the remaining episodes are better than this one (though maybe I'm the only one who didn't like it?)
last edited on May 04, 2007 at 02:12PM

Ang Opisina 38 ang sumagot

Click here to write a response...
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas smackdabish said…
I actually disagree. I really liked this episode, and it was probably one of my favorites this season. It feels to me that Office got it's spark back with this episode.

The sex jokes were kind of over the top, but everything else was great. Pam and Karen indirectly fighting over Jim, Ryan's sleaziness (LOL!), Jan being a beast in the bedroom (and not to mention completely INSANE), Pam fixing the tire, the guys hanging out in the women's bathroom, Andy making a fool out of Dwight... it was great! After duds like Safety Training, it's nice to have some fun.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas lbr218 said…
i thought it was funny. Not the funniest episode i have seen, but I liked it.
I thought angela was amazing, as always... and I loved the "This man is a PERVERT" poster. But I did think that it was Kelly who charged into VS. But whatever. My rating was 4 out of 5.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas buddyhollz4 said…
I thought it was so-so. The more I watch an episode the more I like it so maybe it'll grow on me.
I thought the beginning was too much and over the top.
I loved the indirect fight between Karen and Pam.
The pervert poster was hilarious.
Creed is a creep. But I still love him.
I really liked at the end when Michael said the wishes he had made for the women (eg. pam become brave, angela get a heart, and kelly get a brain).
And it was Kelly who ran into Victoria's Secret.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas Aussie_Koala said…
OMG, I have to see this episode, I missed last night. Can someone please post it and HURRY!!!!!
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas hawkluvbeer said…
I think it was funny as well. Sorry papa, only boring people get bored.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas papa said…
hawkluvbeer, I didn't say I was bored. It just wasn't my favorite episode. Lame insults like yours are what really bore me.

Here are the quotes for the episode that I posted to Dunderball:
link
last edited sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas steph455 said…
Yes i have also not seen it yet so the sooner its posted the betta! oh...and who cares everyones entitled to their own opinion whether you like it or not.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas Urkel-gru said…
couldnt disagree with the original post more

the writing was excellent, very edgy, fast-paced, 5/5
i thought it was so good, that im uploading it to veoh (and then fanpop) now

over the last month or so some people on this site took the time to post about the show ON THIS SITE, and then said the show sucks...im not getting the point of that...
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas rodthemod said…
that's because some people like the show but maybe not a specific episode. I don't see how that's hard to get.

I thought it was ok. Not good, not great. And yes, I'm still an office fan.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas rodthemod said…
for those that missed it
link
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas mrshalpert said…
Papa: AMEN! This episode was embarassing, and totally unbelieveable. Michael is getting to the point where he seems retarded, his bumbling awkward stupidity used to be endearing, now he is so over-the-top that this show is in danger of nose-diving. I am addicted to the first two seasons, this season has been disapointing, but still watchable. I was cringing while watching Thursday night. And Hawklovebeer: maybe you thought it was funny because you're drunk. (and a little juvenile, re; the boring insults)
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas agentScarn said…
i was a big fan of this episode, i thought they came back nicely from a below average episode last week.
I however did not like the beginning with jim and Dwight... it kind of dragged on... oh well still a great episode
8/10
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas DwightHalpert said…
Hi everyone,
long time fan of "The Office", first post here.
I thought the episode was a good, but definitely not a great one.
The weak points:
The sexist jokes at the beginning - the scene was too long, and the over the top perfomance by Michael was not funny, it was simply irritating.
The cold open was a real let down (albeit it's tough to beat last week's brilliant cold open - perhaps the best in the show's history).
Not enough Andy.
I'm also a big fan of Stanley and it's a shame they don't use his character enough.
The Strong points:
The dynamic between Karen & Pam regarding the "Jam" situation was shown perfectly (when they gave Michael contradictory advice about his relationship with Jan).
Angela's talking heads were brilliantly written.
Kevin (especially when he grinned so Kevin-like behind the magazine when Ryan tried to 'save face' in front of Jim).
Michael's wishes for the office girls.

For the time being, my top 3 episodes of season Three are: "The Initiation", "The Convict" and "Business School".
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas plainoldright said…
First thought: I really think we should stick voicing our opinions and less time attacking others opinions.

Second thought: I thought that women's appreciation was one of the most satisfying episodes of the season.

Why? I am a fan of the documentary style of the show. This episode was filled with with brillantly realized reaction shots (to the camrea) of the lack of discretion Michael has. Best moment: When Michael asks Toby to take out his penis: Jims reaction, and Michael's follow up comment. All the women's reaction to Michael's juicy details about his love life. Even the subtle way Jim acknowedges the camea when he goes into the kitchen and see the Pervert Poster. Very real and consistent.

Michael has to be over the top to give the cast (and the audience) their expressions of shock oif what Michael is saying. "Cimon. It's funny when you think about it?" Jim "No, not really". Michael is NOT the moral centre of the show. He gives the other characters a moral centre. Hell, even Kevin was offended by his Chris Rock impression. Fans looking for the endearing Michael to take centre stage are only going to be disappointed. He has to much to prove to be endearing.

Finally, about the penis, and sexist jokes. I was proud that NBC allowed the show to have the penis the centre theme of the show. Michael's line (I'm paraphrasing) "Seeing the penis can be the most beautiful moment in a women's life, but in the wrong situation can be like a monster movie" rings of so much truth!!!! Yes, flashing is perverted. But the penis is not disgusting. So jokes about body parts shouldnt be considered disgusting. Inapproiate, yes...but disgusting? No. And look a Pam reaction when she thinks of Jim flashing her. Is she disgusted? I DON'T THINK SO. The show had a lot to say about men and womens reaactions to sexual experiences. Hell, Phyllis, who was flashed, admits that role-play can be fun. My point is, the characters on the show have more to say about sexism and inappropiate behaviour then any talkback about the show. It made its points brillantly: Dwights comments about how he wished he could have a period, the guys relaxing in the girls bathroom (because lets face it, it looked relaxing)

If men and women can't watch this episode and realize how wacky both sexes are, and laugh about it, well..comedy is lost. What else is comedy for if not to look at how absurd we can be???
"I am ssying alot of things?" so I'll leave it at that. My favorite episode this year "The Convention."

sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas bradlybob said…
Watch the BBC version if you want to see how truly annoying the boss character can be and the sexual references are just plain nasty. I liked it! It was painful to watch sometimes beause David was just so horrible. The other employees would look at him with disgust and pitty because he was just so over the top. He was finally fired. I wonder if maybe they are setting Micheal up for termination.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas caintil31 said…
i totally disagree. i thought that this was probably the best episode of the season
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas Sandiblonde said…
I have to say I liked this episode! I found myself laughing even though it was a bit suggestive. I enjoyed Michael and his emotional/woman-like role in he and Jan's relationship...Loved Pam and Karen throwing words...Loved the guys hanging out in the girl's bathroom...Andy being nice to Dwight and making fun of him at the same time...
I agree with plainoldright about the need realize that both sexes have their weird and absurd qualities and that it's okay to admit to them and laugh about them.
Sure can't wait for the last two episodes of the season! I know I won't be disappointed!
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas RelientJ said…
The first time i watched this episode was with my parents who WERE in the process of starting to like the show... but this one pretty much turned them off...

I've been practly the office's number 1 fan since forever ago. Buuuut... womens appreciation was the WORST EVER!! sooo much unnecessary sexual content! I did not enjoy it... at all.... ok... a little... but really! was it really necessary. I've been trying to convince my mom to get into the show and when she finally agrees... this happens... This was the first episode where I willingly changed the channel and refused to watch the whole episode. ( kinda for my mom's sake so her opinion of the office would not be tainted too much.

Now that i went online and saw the whole thing I kinda liked it but still... It was over the top at some points.

I guess I'm more upset that this was one of the first full episodes my mom saw... too bad
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas buddyhollz4 said…
relientj... yeah, my mom refused to watch it but i did get her to let me show her the good parts.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas laoffecina said…
Before we watched this eppisode me and my husband were talking about how terrible the english office is with all of it's over the top sex humor. It's like elementry school. Then we watched Womans Appreciation and it was almost as bad as thoses Britts. Come on, all the penis jokes might be funny if your a 12 year old dirty kid but it was just too much for me. I loved everything else.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas snoznoodle said…
I didn't like the sex jokes in the British Office either but I LOVE the British show and I suppose Women's Appreciation was just trying to get back to that embarrassing dirty humour.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas brokenbrain said…
I actaully really enjoyed this episode...loved when pam and karen were indirectly fighting over jim, the pervert poster and every line out of creed's mouth.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas papa said…
Enjoying all the divergent opinions about this ep.

Bradlybob - fwiw, I loved the British series. David Brent was great and all the sexual innuendo and jokes (I LOVED his "Excalibur" poem).

I guess at the end of the day it's the delivery and the execution of the comedic material that bugged me about this episode (and less so the content).

But I can totally understand where fans of this episode are coming from.

Only a couple more nights until the next ep!
Seriously? i really liked it, weird that no one else did? i didn't really like product recall but i laughed really hard at this episode haha when creed is talking in the girls bathroom with his head phones on so hes yelling hahah so funny, creed is awesome i am glad they are giving him more lines. Oh and i like when Michael was saying what he would give the women, angela a heart, Pam courage, and when he says Kelly a brain and they show her cluthing lingerie and jumping up and down LOL. Yep i thought it was good!
Why is everyone being so sensitive to the sexual induendos come on i mean this isn't the first time this show has been like that and it wasn't even that bad. Michael was the same,i thought in business school and at phylis's wedding his speechs were over the top i could barely watch but he is retarded like that this was just Michael being Michael, how else could he have reacted and it still be within his character.

Michael has a mind of a 12 year old, everything he says is a catch phrase a junior high student would use, THATS the point! if he stops now it would be completely against what his character has become and is.

Doesn't anyone remember the sexual harrasment episode? This season has just been semi tame, kind of, the first two seasons were loaded with silly humor, thats what has made the show what it is. Come on people quit being so sensitive, where is your inner 13 year old?! If you can laugh at a guy burning his foot on a forman grill you can laugh at a couple damn penis jokes.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas marissa said…
i liked it.
granted, it wasnt the best episode ever, but still.
i dont think they'll ever be able to recapture the genious that was season two.

loved kelly. loved angela. loved pam and karen.

i wont go into all the thinkgs i liked and didn't like, i'll just keep it short and sweet.

no too shabby.

:)
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas Urkel-gru said…
wow, some of you people are just IGNORANT

--this show is fantastic and women's appreciation was hilarious, briliantly written

--the whole point of michael's sex joke barrage was that it was inappropriate...THATS WHAT MAKES IT FUNNY, and thats always been the mantra of both Office versions

--there really isnt that big of a difference between british and american humour anymore, because american humour is finally starting to catch up

someone mentioned that they were embarassed that their mom saw Women's Appreciation, and then commented that the humour was that of a 12-year old boy? HMM MAYBE A BIT OF IRONY IN THAT
maybe you should stick to watching the local news, or even Jeopardy...hopefully mom wont be offended by that
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas dallasterps7 said…
I completely disagree. I thought it was one of the funniest episodes in this season. I thought the sex jokes were so over the top, but I liked it. My favorite part was when Michael said that "flashers are horrible. When Meridith flashed me last christmas party, I nearly vomited." was classic.
Urkel-gru ---> Totally agree, i just don't understand how everyone can like the other episodes and not like this one cause of the sexual content, this was not the frist time the show has ever mentioned the birds and bees. FOR ALL THE MOMS OUT THERE - lighten up!
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas cms0009 said…
I thought this episode was pretty good. Like all shows not everyone is going to be happy with every episode. It took me a little while to get into this show at first but now you cant get me to stop! And I loved the Pam and Karen moments....and I cant wait for thursdays episode!
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas 75Claudia said…
Hi I am new over here!

I actually really liked this episode. I was super excited to see it because this is the episode they were shooting when Bob (Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration) took me to the set. The scene in the parking garage - I was right there!!! How cool is that?? Also I have one of those Dwight wanted posters. Yes ripped right from the set. Robert was so cool to me when I went out there you just cant imagine!

The whole Penis bit...Hilarous. I realize how inappropriate Michael's reaction was but seriously... first of all he is Michael, second of all he is just a big kid and lastly some of the other guys were laughing too. No I wont name names, * Kevin COUGH and Jim COUGH*

Best line?

Michael: My point is... a penis, when seen in the right context, is the most wonderful sight for a woman. But in the wrong context, it is like a monster movie.

I loved it :)
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas petunia04 said…
OMG this episode was AWESOME!! I mean come on Micahel and his penis finger and how it went limp when Toby entered the office?! That was hilarious!! How about Pam sketching Dwight as the flasher and Dwight posting his own pic everywhere?! Priceless! This was a great episode...the writers keep coming up with fresh and creative ideas. This show is not getting old for me...I'm loving every episode. These episodes need to be watched more than once to get everything.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas DalekSec said…
Have you all called the number on the "flasher" flyer Dwight puts up? Hilarious.
DalekSec - Ha its a real number? what happens?
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas CelticPride said…
This episode was bad, but it wasn't the worst of the series, what the worst part it, it could have been better. They should have focused more on Dwight and the fake flasher poster, it could have been better. I have disagree about the cold open, that was possibly the funniest cold open I have ever seen between Jim and Dwight. I really do not like the office when it gets sexual because for those of you who did not like this episode, I bet you didn't like Sexual Harassment because that episode's jokes were over the top as well. I don't think this was the worst episode of the whole series or the season, but it was kind of bad, and it could have been better.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas discopufu said…
Everybody! We are overlooking the core issue here: Pam changed a tire by herself!!!! I loved this episode, but my fav. part was the look on Pam's face when she talked about it to the camera. I heart that girl :)
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas maybeastarbucks said…
A personal favorite of mine. Right up there with Grief Counseling, Dundies, and Conflict Resolution. I like when Creed is listening to his Walkman and he talks really loud.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas nezenic said…
I liked it.

An episode that I didn't like, however, would be Safety Training. Meh.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas sandyboard93 said…
I think the episode had a lot of meaning in how karen and pam felt about relationships...if u noticed karen seems to give so-so advice that will ventually cause the downfall of michael and jan. Pam on te other hand keeps reminding michael that he is unhapp and he should follow his heart.

and i called the number....hilarious. iam intrested in purchasing a 1987 firebird and i will pursuade him to sell it!