Fanpop Opinion: new approach to props?

harold posted on May 04, 2011 at 05:47PM
Maybe it doesn't bother you; maybe you're fine with it; however, I think I'm not alone in my irritation when I get a prop for a particular category of content and it's not clear what the prop is actually praising. This can come in two forms: unclear references, and flat-out misuse of the prop feature. For instance, I wrote a lot of articles years ago, but today I might get a prop for articles with a comment saying "Your article was hilarious!" I have no idea which article was meant. Another example: I get props for comments (and I'm not alone in this) where the user isn't actually praising a comment, but is instead using the prop function to say "Hi!" or "Happy Birthday!"....something that should be posted to the Wall, not a prop. I shouldn't have props when I haven't done something noteworthy in that category!
A final example: from time to time, I get fans. Some of these are great users, some are people who never did anything on the site other than register and "fan" people, and others are literally spammers. My general practice is that I'll be a fan of anyone who posts worthwhile content on the site. So when I look into "fanning back", I go to the user's profile and look at two things: the user's activity, and their props. But often I find that users who have done absolutely NOTHING on the site have a dozen or more props. This kind of things diminishes props to the point of meaninglessness, in my view.

What if - and I'm just daydreaming here - we could give a prop to a user from the content that we like, instead of on the user's page? What if, when we selected "give props" under a video, an image, a comment, et cetera, the site gave us a chance to submit a comment with the prop, and then the prop was posted with our comment and a URL for the "propped" content?

What do you think? Would that be an improvement? Or is this another instance of Harold trying to fix something that isn't broken?

Fanpop 7 ang sumagot

Click here to write a response...
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas Eline_K said…
smile
You read my mind! I had a similar idea a few weeks ago. I think it would be a great improvement. I hope the F4 will look into this.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas othobsessed92 said…
smile
I agree, props are given without any consideration as to what they really mean! This idea is GREAT, you guys should seriously consider it!
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas misanthrope86 said…
I like this idea. I don't think it will make much of a dent in prop whoring, but I think it would certainly be a very cool improvement to the site.
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas makintosh said…
cool
I love the idea.
{'Or is this another instance of Harold trying to fix something that isn't broken?} And,Harold, the If-it-ain't-broke, don't-fix-it thing , can not be used here.

Props are out of control, really.
last edited sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas germany123 said…
smile
very good! this would also eliminate me having to copy and paste links which are not clickable but just plain ugly in my props field.

now...how do i give you a forum prop? idea prop? *is confused*
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas fanfly said…
big smile
This is a great idea!

Even when people give legitimate props they seem to get confused. I got a prop where the person praised an article I wrote- but the prop was for pop quizzes or something. Wth?
sa loob ng isang taon na ang nakalipas RealBenTennyson said…
As I said, its exactly my thought. I really hope f4 will look into this!